We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Cockerel questions...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HNB23, Apr 24, 2018.

1. HNB23

HNB23 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    I bought most of my new chicks as straight run. Completely lucked out on the Americana only 1 cockerel and 4 pullets. Other breeds RIR(4 to 1) and barred rocks(3 to 1). I know that's too many fellas. My question is will they stay as friendly as they are now or get more aggressive with maturity? I've read RIR were not very friendly, but as of now my RIR boys are the sweetest!

My only Americana cockerel has extremely crooked toes that got worse the older he got. Other than that he's a beautiful bird, solid snow white, all my girls have color patterns. Should i remove him bc of toes, could it be passed down?

What age should I raise them to eat? Thanks

2. Lifeiseasy

Lifeiseasy Songster

Jun 13, 2017
    Central Virginia
    I can’t tell you about other breeds but I know that with enough handling, treats, and care, your RIR could become the sweetest bird ever. I don’t know if they get meaner as they get older since my RIR roo is only a year old but he’s sweeter than my hens. I don’t know about the toe thing sadly but to raise cockerels to eat I think, emphasis on “think”, that it’s 16-18 weeks. It depends on how tender you want the meat and how much weight is on the bird.

HNB23 likes this.
  3. HNB23

HNB23 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    I visit with them all at least once a day to give them treats AFTER THEY EAT! Lol I learned the hard way don't try to hand out worms when everyone is hungry in the morning. My RIR boys are always the first to come up and do not want to share. Unfortunately they're learning bad habits from my nervous birds. My Americana fly up grab a worm and run away. So now they fly up instead of letting anyone get a worm before them.

4. Lifeiseasy

Lifeiseasy Songster

Jun 13, 2017
    Central Virginia
    :lau Silly chickens! Mine go insane for strawberries but they refuse to eat it if it falls on the ground so I have to risk my hand to give them one. My rooster is sick right now but apparently he LOVES cayenne peppers.

5. HNB23

HNB23 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    My ducks love berries! I gave my chickens some huckleberries. 1 hen took it from me ran away from the other chickens , dropped it, rolled it with her beak then picked it up when the other chickens came close and repeated this:lau it was too funny! Almost like she's thinking I'm not eating this, but you cant have it! I can't believe he eats hot peppers that's so crazy... maybe he needs a rolaid ;)

6. Lifeiseasy

Lifeiseasy Songster

Jun 13, 2017
    Central Virginia
    :gigMine do that all the time! They grab something and play chase even if they don’t actually want it. I’ve been giving my rooster peppers to hopefully make him feel better since I don’t know what’s wrong with him. I just tend to get caught up in giving him treats :oops: I gave him four peppers yesterday. Rolaid might not be a bad idea :lau

7. HNB23

HNB23 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    How will the pepper help him?

8. Lifeiseasy

Lifeiseasy Songster

Jun 13, 2017
    Central Virginia
    I’ve read that if a bird had blackhead, which is rare in chickens but still a possibility, cayenne peppers can help. He also perks up after he eats them anyways so I figure it’s helping, even if it’s just his mood.

9. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    That may be too many cockerels to pullets. And for your Ameraucana... yes, I wouldn't breed him. That would be a very unfavorable trait to pass down.

10. HNB23

HNB23 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    I was afraid of that and he's my only 1. The only aggression I've seen so far is when they're free ranging a few of them will not really fight, but have a stand off/ staring competition with feathers all puffed out. Am i right to assume the fights will get worse they're about 9 weeks old right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: