Cockerel rasping and breathing with his mouth open

pepparaaraa

Chirping
May 4, 2015
London, UK
Suddenly yesterday our 5 month old cockerel started making a sort of donkey sound. Then there was less and less sound out of him like he'd lost his voice. Now I notice he is raspy and a bit gurgle sounding when he breaths. I gave him some bread soaked in olive oil which he ate a bit of but hasn't touched his normal food yesterday. I was worried he had something stuck in his throat and he had a no crow collar on (obviously not tight enough as his crowing was getting complaints from the neighbours), so we took that off yesterday just in case but he hasn't improved. Tried feeling his crop but couldn't feel anything so I guess it's empty if he hasn't eaten.
He is separate from the hens at the mo.
I have not had a poorly chicken yet so I have nothing on hand. What would I need to get to help him and will he last if he takes days to arrive if I can't just pop out and buy this stuff? Help please!

Last edited:
I've ordered some wormer but it looks like the only one in the UK is flubenvet and its something you mix with feed, so I just bought the premixed stuff. HOWEVER, he's not eaten a thing today just drank a little... How will I get it into him? Do I need to order solubenol and how do I dose? All sounds confusing!

I've ordered some wormer but it looks like the only one in the UK is flubenvet and its something you mix with feed, so I just bought the premixed stuff. HOWEVER, he's not eaten a thing today just drank a little... How will I get it into him? Do I need to order solubenol and how do I dose? All sounds confusing!
Can you get horse wormer there? If so, go get yourself a tube of Safeguard or Panacur, both are 10% fenbendazole, and give 0.32ml per pound orally for five days,

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom