Cockerel-right??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AmyLynn2374, Dec 30, 2014.

1. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    My last hatch is 8 weeks old now. A good share of them are no brainers, (except the couple silkie mixes and polish). The boys have big ole pink crowns and wattles. The two for certain girls have tiny yellow crowns. But this one is in between. (All of mine are mixes.) This one is apparently an ee as he is sporting little muffs. His comb is quite a bit bigger than the girls but half the size and not as round as the boys. It's also a nice pink. But his wattles are almost non existent. I realize this could be due to different mixes. My sister is going to be taking my roos and I want to be more certain before I send him off and plan out my next game plan. (I'm just starting my flock and think I'm taking quite a hit in the girl vs boy ratio....lol)

Here's my problem child:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other boys pretty much follow this trouble makers traits where crowns and wattles are concerned:
    [​IMG]

Also, at what age can someone who knows what they are looking for determine sexes for silkies and polish?

2. RogerTheChicken

RogerTheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    Silkiee and polish are hard to tell, but most of my silkiee and polish that are the same age are getting wattles and v combs(polish) or walnut combs(silkies)

3. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    The pics look like definite Roos and I meant to say my silkies and polish are the same age as yours

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Mine are mixes. One silkie has no comb at all showing but a wide space that is turning pinkish where I am assuming a weird type comb such as walnut or pea or something I can't distinguish is going to come in...lol The other looks like it has a small single row comb. One of my polish has a distinct v comb and good size wattles. I'm pretty sure that one is a cockerel, the other I'm pretty sure is a polish silkie cross as it has 5 toes, but it looks like it has a small single row comb. It's hard to see theirs as they are constantly bobbing their heads and do not stay still at all...lol

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL. It took me a couple times reading it, but I concluded that was what you meant. [​IMG]

6. RogerTheChicken

May 17, 2014
    The first silkie you talked about sounds like a cockerel but I am not sure about the rest, can you post pics tomorrow

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I can sure try. My silkies are the hardest to get pics of. They are the flightiest of all the chicks. I pegged that one as a boy and the other one as a girl and I hope I am right...lol

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cockerel. The comb is too much for a pullet of that age, and the kicker is the reddish color coming in on the wings. Hens don't have that coloring.

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I've seen people "say" red splotches on their shoulders/wings ment boys but I've never understood it. Well, the biogenetics of it anyway. I can't fathom that a female can not/will not ever have red or why. (Just to be clear, I'm not arguing it, just don't understand the genetics behind it.)
    I was pretty sure that he was a he. In the beginning I was sure he was a he just on the attitude alone (his name is Scrappy if that tells you anything..lol) Then the other boy's crowns and wattles grew faster and bigger and he calmed down and wasn't so scrappy so I thought, maybe he's not a he. Then in the last couple weeks they've grown a bit and got darker pink so I was back to he, but not positive. lol

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Ok, I was able to get pics of the others.
    This is the silkie mix that I concluded was boy:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the silkie mix that I am hoping is a girl:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by