Cockerel "self stimulating"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barry Natchitoches, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    When our broody hatched a cockerel we ended up with two male chickens. Since his father was already lord and master over the henhouse, and we only have nine hens, we decided to let him remain the henhouse rooster. His son, when he reached about five months old, had to be relocated to a chicken tractor next to the other birds chicken yard, because the two males could not get along.

This means that poor little Pierre lives isolated from the other birds -- separated by a chicken wire fence from the girls that he would love to mount.

He's none too happy about his forced celibacy, as he made perfectly clear about a week ago when one of the hens snuck out of the chicken yard when I was walking in, and Pierre mounted that bird before it even had a clue what had happened.

But except for that one time, he has not had a sexual encounter with any of the hens.

I have noticed that occasionally he squats down and sort of rubs his bottom on the ground. He is, for the most part, in the same position that he would be if there was a hen underneath him.

Is my (now) six and a half month old cockerel "self stimulating?"

What -- if anything -- can I do to help him, given the fact that he is separated from the other birds by chicken wire?

2. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    A hen in his pen would do the trick!!!![​IMG]

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    buy him some girlfriends???????

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get him some girls.

Someone on here had a pop bottle in with a rooster and he regularly mounted it.

5. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I live in a city and I'm already way past my legal limit with the number of chickens I can have -- especially roosters.

I just cannot get any more birds at this time.

I'm hoping for some other ideas.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Edited for joke/adult content. ~Lisa~

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2010
  7. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    give him one of the chickens you already have! - perhaps the one he already mounted :eek:)

8. ponygal12

ponygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I'm new to the chicken world, just throwing that out there. I don't know if this was already metioned or you said something about it, but what about moving one or two of your hens into the tractor with your roo?

9. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Give that cockerel a few of the girls already there. That way ya don't have to bring any more birds in and each roo gets some ladies to entertain.

10. ponygal12

ponygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I agree!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by