cockerel sitting down a lot?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by patandchickens, Jul 14, 2008.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Probably I am being over-analytical here, but is it ok that one of my Sussex cockerels seems to spend more time sitting down than the rest of the chickens do?

They are getting on towards 3 months old. He seems normal enough in every other respect -- he is the heftiest bird in the pen, he consistantly wins eyeballing-fluffing-and-chestbutting contests with the other cockerel, and if you put something new in there he is usually one of the first chickens to go over and investigate it. But he is often a little ways off from the other chickens - seldom right in the middle of the mob - and he often just sits down for a minute or so. Including often sitting down to eat. I have checked his feet and found nothing discernably wrong.

Is this normal enough boy-chicken behavior, or what? I am thinking about using him as Stud Boy for the pen and converting the other cockerel(s) to stew in a month or so, and thus it is kind of important to me to figure out whether there is something wrong with him or not. As you can tell, I know zero about rooster behavior [​IMG] so all opinions are appreciated.

Pat

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Rudely bumping own post -- I'm sorry, it may sound stupid, but this really kind of concerns me. I do not want to eat the other cockerels and then have this one turn out to have some hidden disease, or some sort of innate leg weakness that will get passed on to next year's chicks.

What do you think?

Pat

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pat, it's hard to say. The only bird I ever had that sat alot was my Zane and he was injured from a fall and maybe even had a spider bite in the hock area while sitting due to his injury. He had infection in the hock that had to be drained several times and appears to be gone now. There is a mycoplasma synovaie (sp?) that causes joint issues as well. Could be your boy just sprained his leg and it's hurting him a bit. Check the hocks, which often are not that visible under the lowest leg feathers to see if there is any swelling.

4. BramblewoodFarm

BramblewoodFarm New Egg

May 31, 2012
    this is a pretty old thread, but I have the exact same thing going on with my roo and while I just posted my own thread, I thought I'd see if you are still around Pat, and how things turned out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by