Cockerel sometimes pecks hand when I pick him up. Thoughts?

FattySmough

Songster
May 2, 2021
South Kansas
My Easter Egger cockerel is 17 weeks old, and so far everything is going well. He moves out of the way for me, doesn't attack me or threaten me when I am around, and he looks absolutely stunning. His crow is lovely to listen to. So far he seems like a promising future rooster. The only thing I'm concerned about is that when I pick him up, it's not uncommon for him to peck my hand as I reach out to him. It doesn't really hurt and isn't hard enough to damage my skin, but I would still prefer he didn't do it.

To all of you who have raised respectful roosters: Would you consider this acceptable behaviour? I'm the one trying to pick him up after all. For the past couple of days I've been holding him down with his beak against the ground if he pecks me. But I'm wondering if it's better to just leave him alone since he isn't being aggressive and just seems to want some space. Maybe I just shouldn't pick him up. What do y'all think?

I agree, my roosters are strictly hands off, in fact...mine was raised by a broody, I don't think I have ever touched him. But I would not want him pecking me, and I would not want that to escalate into something worse.

I love to watch them and do so, but I don't handle mine very much if at all.

Mrs K
I see. the only reason I would pick him up, or hold him down if he pecked me was because other people said that it would teach him I'm the boss. But I've also seen more experienced people on this site say they never touch their roosters and rarely get mean ones. So many conflicting views...I just want a good rooster! Hopefully he turns out good as I try a more hands-off approach, I would hate to get rid of him.

I too, have read countless theories on roosters, now, I am rather a firm believer in luck. Luck of the draw... I kind of think that raising up a chick under an older established flock makes for better odds in getting a good rooster, but truthfully two things make for a good rooster, LUCK and a sharp knife.

Do not keep a mean rooster, plain and simple. Cull the rotten ones, makes room for a very good rooster. If this one gets more aggressive, do not blame yourself, blame him. Cull and move on.

Last summer I got Bye, the perfect rooster. It was just luck.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom