Cockerel very under the weather.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PetiteCreuse, Nov 12, 2014.

1. PetiteCreuse

PetiteCreuse New Egg

May 23, 2014
    Central France
    Hi folks.

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice about my poorly cockerel.

He has spent today huddled with his neck pulled in and quiet as if he were cold, although it is currently between 5 and 14 degrees centigrade here.

His wattle is swollen and we noticed when we put him to bed that so is one of his feet. There are no discharges, signs of a bite, or any other unusual behavior.

He is perky enough to avoid capture by us still, but obviously out of sorts and has kept himself away from the girls mostly. He is a textbook perfect Copper Marran Cockerel, about 18 months old, the perfect cock to his harem of 6 free-ranging chickens, and we love him.

Any tips?

many thanks,

Petite Creuse

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your rooster. Several diseases could cause swelling of the wattles such as fowl cholera, coryza, and Mareks disease, but it also could be an abscess from an injury or peck wound. The swollen foot could also have many possibilities. Have you examined the footpad for bumblefoot? Could his foot have been injured? Infections such as mycoplasma synoviae orillnesses such as gout or scaly leg mites can cause foot swelling, along with bumblefoot or an injury.

3. PetiteCreuse

PetiteCreuse New Egg

May 23, 2014
    Central France
    Thanks for the advice. We still are not sure what it is - no obvious injury - but he seems to be gradually perking up and, though his wattle is still swollen, he is back to doing his job and looks less miserable. So fingers crossed!

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I had an uncommon occurrence this last Summer. Had I not seen the act taking place, I would not have known why one of my hen's face began to swell. From my front door, I saw chickens dashing to and fro in a panic and scratching at their heads. I quickly went out to find they had scratched around a log which had a large yellow jacket nest underneath it. The one hen affected was breathing rapidly from stress and I used an oral dose of .5 cc of children's Benadryl liquid, a remedy for stings and swelling/allergic reactions. Within 24 hours the bird was back to normal. During that period of recuperation she was very uncomfortable for the rest of that day. .

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by