1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockerel vs rooster

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Eringm, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Eringm

Eringm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2016
    So earlier in the year I bought a rooster and he's to small to mate with any of the chickens, so today I went to the Sunday market (where I bought the rooster) and I was telling the guy about the rooster he sold me and he said" take 1 of them cockerels (he was pointing at a box of Rhode Island Red cockerels ) and bring the old 1 back to me next week ". So i did and about 3 hours ago they came face to face and were fighting so I split it up and they went they're own way but I think the old rooster (who is the smaller 1 ) lost Becuase he just sits in 1 corner of the filed while the new cockerel and Chickens are in the pen eating and drinking. What should I do ? I only have 1 hit for them, they're locked up from 8:30 till 7 in the morning. I don't have anywhere to put the new/old rooster

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Short-term let looser roost on pen. Get rid of one or build a small pen for looser to roost in.

3. Eringm

Eringm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2016
    I don't have the money or the time to build a new pen, the old rooster is going back on Saturday,could they kill each other in the night ?

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Not over night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by