Cockerel with a cough/cold

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kittykat975, Jul 30, 2014.

1. kittykat975

kittykat975 Hatching

Jul 30, 2014
    Hoping somebody may be able to help.

I have a little sea bright cockerel that we brought into an indoor cage quite late last night. He hasn't been himself for a few days as he's been going through a moult, however we realized last night that he was laying on the ground hardly moving and didn't have the energy to get into the hen house.

On getting him in we have found he is sneezing and coughing a lot, also he has a very raspy throat and isn't crowing at all. His comb looks a little purple but is not drastically off colour.

Has anyone got any advice on what it could be and what I can do to help him?

Thanks in advance x

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Check to see if he sounds like he has fluid around his lungs and heart/ in his lungs ( its a gurgling sound) also does he have a runny nose? I would suggest antibiotics since colds/ infections can kill. Tetracycline is a good broard spectrim antibiotic

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sneezing and coughing may be due to infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) ILT, or coryza which are respiratory diseases. Tylan 50 injectible given as a shot for 3 days in the breast, or given orally may help. Oxytetracycline, Gallimycin (erythromycin,) and Tylan Soluble Powder are also good to treat with in the water. Here is a link to read about those diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: