cockerel with a gunky eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ruby Mia, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    i just found out today that my roo has got this yellow waxy type stuff around one of his eyes. he has been asking normal apart from the last two days where i just find him standing by himself not being able to find his hens and when a threw corn this morning he didn't come over, so i guessed as he is a sultan he probably couldn't see because his hair. and that's when i found out when i was cutting it. we have had to cut it twice in the past because he was running in to trees and shaking his head all the time. so any ideas what this gunk could be, is it gust gunk from his hair or what?

2. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    any ideas?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you post a picture of the eye and gunk? It's possible that his eye is infected from a respiratory infection. It's hard to guess without a picture or more description.

4. Elaine Elder

Elaine Elder Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2013
    Kingston, Georgia
    Quarantine sick birds away from well birds. Take care of all other animals then take care of sick. Wash clothes and shower after handling sick birds. Use different shoes if possible.
    VetRx for chickens. One drop in each eye. Then turn it on its back and open its mouth. Drop several drops in the v shaped area in roof of mouth. Puffit is a brand name for a topical sulfa antibiotic. VetRx is like Vicks vapor rub for humans. But its oily and keeps the sulfa on the skin where it can be absorbed in skin. Massage comb and wattles. This is the start...
    Go to animalrevival.com. purchase oxine in gallon. You do not need activator. I get 4 gallons at a time because shipping only goes up couple dollars. Also purchase Sulfadimethoxine. As a powder it is $10-$12. As liquid it is $40. both are usually available in feed store. Mix 1 packet in half gallon water. Measure out 2 tablespoons mixture per gallon of drinking water as sole source water. This is an antibiotic so start sprinkling probiotic powder on food each day to repopulate gut with digestive microbes.
    Get a cheap warm mist vaporizer. Put 7.5 oz Oxine per gallon of water. Put sick birds in cage above in the path of the steam. They need to breath the mist to get the medication into lungs. Treat chickens with no symptoms with 2 tablespoons Oxine per gallon drinking water. Watch well birds for any symptom. This is like a cold in preschool. If one gets it they will all get it.
    I'm beginning to think this may be spread by wild birds. Because I hear about a case almost every week. Tell me if your sick one has cold feet. That's the oddest symptom I've ever noticed.

5. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    thanks for the replies! i will check him out tomorrow and take some picks.

6. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    his eye doesnt seem to be too gunky today. hopefully it wont come back and i will keep checking on it.

7. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Yellow pus in the eyes is usually a sign of respiratory illness in chickens.

8. Elaine Elder

Elaine Elder Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2013
    Kingston, Georgia
    Separate from other chickens

Microplasma S. (Google it)
    Treat with Ty Ian Powder
    1/2 tsp. per gallon water
    Give Probiotics during and 5 days after

Infected by wild birds

If this doesn't work, have tested for Microplasma G.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by