Cockerel with a limp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poecilia, Jul 31, 2013.

1. poecilia

poecilia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Hi all,
    we have a flock of about 25 free range chickens between 3 and 15 months old. This includes three roosters, an older one (over 1 year old) and two cockerels (about 4 months old) that just recently matured. I noticed that one of the younger roosters has a pretty significant limp, avoiding to step on one leg whenever possible. I cannot detect any external injury and have not observed any fighting among the roosters. Is this something I need to be concerned about? Is there anything I can do to help the healing process?
    Best wishes, MT

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He is still young enough that Marek's Disease might be the cause. It usually presents itself as limping, followed by paralysis of the legs and wings, and then death. Hopefully, Marek's Disease is not the case, as it is a very troublesome disease that will always be in your flock.

It is equally possible that he sprained or strained his leg on something. He may have jumped down from too high a perch, or fought (even if you're not seeing fighting, it could still be occurring). I'd isolate him and keep him on a thick layer of bedding, with easy access to food and water.

A vitamin deficiency is another possible problem. Deficiencies of Vitamin B can cause problems such as this, so you should start him on some vitamins.

Stay alert for any change in his symptoms, and keep us updated! Good luck!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by