Cockerel with Bloody Poo.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EeshieKing, Nov 1, 2013.

1. EeshieKing

EeshieKing Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2013
    We noticed bloody poo in the coop and on the porch yesterday. I have been following the chickens, and I think its coming from our cockerel. I'm not sure what it is, dark red blood. If it its Coccidosis, should I keep him away from our other chickens or is it to late for them already. I would hate to loose our hens, sense they just started laying.

2. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    I am no expert but I would say that all of your birds have already been exposed. I would treat them ALL with Corid immediately. Check into the deep litter method. It will help them or other birds not to get cocci since they can be infected or reinfected from the soil. Also, keep your waterers and feeders clean as best you can. Vinegar in their water (1T/gallon) and fermented feed will help to keep their gut healthier so they won't be as likely to come down with cocci or other problems. Good luck.

3. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Also... in my research of cocci I read that bleach will not kill cocci. Use AMMONIA to kill the cocci parasites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by