Cockerel with broken toe?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peckyscotch, Nov 28, 2014.

1. peckyscotch

peckyscotch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    Hi, I have raised a 12-13 week old Vorwerk cockerel but over the last 3 or so weeks I have noticed that its middle toe on one foot is very bent to one side.
    Don't know if this will help but he is in with a light Sussex cockerel and two light Sussex ladies, I have just recently started letting them out onto the grass and they've never had they're nails clipped. If anyone could tell me what probably happened, or what I should do then that would be great!

2. peckyscotch

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    Its toe is bent from the middle

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If it hasn't always been like that, he probably got into a scuffle with other cockerel. Or maybe hung it on something and messed it up trying to free himself. There really isn't much you can do for it though.

4. peckyscotch

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    he doesn't look like he's in any pain so I don't think I'll need to take him to the vet. I hope it heals though

5. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

It is likely a genetic defect. Crooked toes do pop up now and then. Some lines worse than others. It's something breeders watch for and don't breed from that bird. It'tends to show up in males more often from what I have noticed and it tends to be the middle toe. It is not always evident at an early age, but tends to develop later, around the age your bird is now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by