Cockerel with eye discharge, help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken_china_mom, Sep 15, 2010.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I noticed that my cockerel Sam, a D'Anver mix, was standing in the yard yesterday with his eye closed. I watched him closely and he was scratching around and eating and acting normally. I caught him and took a look at the eye, and he opened it to look at me (like I had offended him by picking him) and the eye looked clear, but a little watery. I thought maybe an older, more dominant hen or roo had pecked at him and gotten him in the eye. Well, today I was out in the chicken yard and my younger DD looked over at Sam and noticed his eye was closed, so she scooped him up and he opened the eye and she saw white discharge, so she brought him to me. I now have him inside and he is sitting very nicely in my lap, which is not normally like him. He's usually a runner and wants to be left alone. His comb and nose look good, it's just that one eye. The other one is perfectly clear. I cannot get to a store today, no car, but what I have here on hand is Duramycin and Sulmet. Don't think the Sulmet will do anything, but maybe someone here is more knowledgeable than I am. I just tried to put a warm compress on it, but he's having nothing to do with that. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I had the same thing happen to one of my bannies. I just put some neosporin directly on her eye a couple times a day for a couple of days and it cleared right up.

3. chicken_china_mom

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I don't have any neosporin. Did you use the kind without benzocaine in it?

4. chicken_china_mom

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Quote:Wanted to also ask, did you separate your bird out from the rest of the flock?

5. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    My birds were already in quarantine because I just got them, there were three of them and only one had the goopy eye. The neosporin I used does not have benzocane in it. I would think any first aid antibiotic ointment would work, just not the one with pain reliever in it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2010
  6. chicken_china_mom

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I found another of my roosters with a closed eye out in the yard, so I brought him inside too and am keeping them in until their eyes clear up. Sam, the D'Anver mix, is still lethargic and very sleepy. He won't open his bad eye unless he's startled. Buddy, my Barred Cochin roo is up and moving around (felt well enough to follow me into the kitchen after I came back from grocery shopping to beg for a treat) but won't open his one eye. His eye doesn't have the same discharge that Sam's eye has, but it has a wet look to it, and it's swollen, which were the first things I noticed in Sam. Sam has a white discharge leaking out of his bad eye. It's gross looking. I squeezed out what I could (he fought me every step of the way) yesterday before applying the warm compress.

I went to the store today and bought the Neosporin without any cane in it, and I put some on a Q-Tip and put it on each boy's bad eye. My next question is, how often do I do this? Twice a day? Three times a day? Every hour? Only once? How often? I don't want to use more than their body can handle, and I don't want to run out in case more birds show symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by