Cockerel with foot problem - maybe bumblefoot??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KentuckyChick, Feb 19, 2011.

1. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. - Welsummer cockerel, just over six months. Not sure on weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Eating and drinking okay, walks by lifting legs fairly high. Lays around a lot.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? He lays around a lot, but has done it his whole life. Because he DOES lay around a lot, we just noticed his feet today. I feel like such a horrible owner! We recently rehomed a dominant roo who also would come between us and the cockerel in question, so we really haven't gotten near him until recently.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Not at all.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Looks like claws are decaying? He was pecking at them earlier.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing I'm aware of. I'm not sure when it started.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Water and Layena.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. All poop looks normal.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Epsom salt soak and covered claws in Blue Kote.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Looking for a vet that treats chickens. If I can treat myself, I'm all for it.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Posted below.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - They're in a coop with heat lamps, although the weather hasn't been below 28. Bedding is pine shavings.

One thing about him is he's never roosted. He's always laid on the floor. I attributed this to the other roo. I have found him in the nest box a few times too! If it IS bumblefoot, do I have to worry about my pullets and the staph, or their eggs?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Is it possible that he got frost bite?

3. KentuckyChick

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I guess anything's possible. I didn't think it had been cold enough for him to get it, especially when he spends most of his time inside with the heat lamps. I'm not entirely sure. I wish I had noticed it sooner so I would have more of an idea how long he's been dealing with it!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. KentuckyChick

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    You can get a good idea of what his claws look like in the second pic. I thought they showed up pretty well.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    looked at it again and yep can see what you are talking about, I haven't a clue what is going on there. How long have you been doing the soaks? could be some sort of vitamin difenciency [sp] hopefully someone else will be able to help you. I will go see what I can find out though.

7. KentuckyChick

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    If he does indeed have bumblefoot, does that affect the other birds? Do I have to worry about the eggs my other birds are laying, as far as their being edible?

8. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    All of his toes look necrotic, as though the tissue has died, even the one on the foot without the bumblefoot-looking scab. Sure looks like frostbite to me. If the toes were secondary to a staph infection, it would seem odd to me that the infection traveled neatly and evenly down all of the toes. Are his feet warm/hot to the touch? Other than frostbite, I'm not familiar with another chicken ailment that would cause his feet to look that way. Maybe someone with more knowledge will post.

However, I would still check out that round scab on the bottom of his foot, it does have the appearance of bumblefoot, - it may not necessarily be related to the damage to his toes, but will need attention either way.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  9. KentuckyChick

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am thinking it might be frostbite too. Even though temps haven't been extreme here, it HAS snowed a lot. And he did start going outside once the dominant rooster was gone. His feet aren't hot to touch. Not even after a soak. I rubbed all over them to make sure they were smooth to rule out scaly leg mites and to see if there was anything else I was missing.

I guess my biggest concern now is if that is a bumble, how much does it affect my girls?

Thanks to everyone for their input so far!

10. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    I just reread your initial post and noticed you say you used blue kote. Were his toes that color before you used the blue kote - if not what did they look like?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by