Cockerel with Loose poo?!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by em530, Mar 9, 2017.

1. em530

em530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    I have a few new chickens, I have only had them for 4 days all look healthy and fit (lovely shiny feathers, red combs etc) however ..... the cockerel has got quite watery poo? I don't know whether it is maybe the change in diet as they had all been kept indoors for months and are all now on fresh grass can this happen? I have put multi vitamins in their water but that shouldn't give him diarrhoea should it? Any ideas on how I can help him? Thankyou

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do your feed or vitamins contain some probiotics? That can help, but he is probably having some loose poops due to being on grass. Plain yogurt also contains probiotics, and only a spoonful per chicken a couple of days a week are needed. Vitamins are not necessary when they are eating a balanced chicken feed. It won't hurt them a time or two a week, but I would slack off on them. Are you feeding grit for them to help digest grasses and other foods they eat besides chicken feed? Coccidiosis can also be a problem when chickens are suddenly exposed to dirt and grass. He may not have cocci, but if you notice anyone seeming lethargic, hunched, or having runny poops with mucus or blood, then I would treat them all with Corid in their water for 5-7 days.

3. em530

em530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Thankyou [​IMG] I will give them a bit of yoghurt and see if that helps, they are not on vitamins now, just plain water it was some kind of herbal vitamin to help with the gut and had " anti coccidial" properties apparently it recomended putting some in the water when any birds are under the weather or stressed from a move etc all of them look extremely healthy at the minute but I will keep an eye out, thankyou for your help and advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by