Cockerel with poopy bum, tail feathers stripped to bare shaft

SaltyHen

Songster
Nov 16, 2021
New Brunswick, Canada
Something's going on with one of my 7 month old Icelandic cockerels that I first thought was perhaps him being bullied, but now wondering if it's something more serious like fowl pox? Please note that it's unfortunately difficult for me to isolate and do a bath this time of year, esp at night — Atlantic Canada winter, wild temp swings, cabin in the forest with no plumbing nor lighting. This rooster is scheduled for culling, but of course I'd like to know what I'm dealing with.

First of all, he had been struggling with mild frostbite due to wild temp swings and recently the frostbite got much worse, as you'll see in the photos. Unless that's fowl pox?

Then yesterday, he was off by himself, hanging out in one of the nesting boxes. It was a bit odd but he was still alert, not lethargic or anything, so I didn't think much of it, maybe trying to escape the cold or being bullied, just kept my eye on him.

At dusk, I noticed he had a really poopy butt, which I wondered if he was bullied and sitting in his poop all day while hiding in the nest box and it froze on his bum? Temps were rising above zero overnight and it was starting to melt though (ewww :sick).

Today his poopy bum seems cleared away and he is acting normal too, mingling with the flock.

But I also noticed his tail feathers are stripped near the base with the shaft showing. [Edit: do some of the saddle feathers seem to be missing to you?] So is he being bullied (I haven't noticed anything but I may have missed it)? Or can an illness/disease like fowl pox cause all of the above?

He might have diarrhea, I'm not sure. Someone in the flock (or perhaps a few someones) have always seemed to have runny yellow stools since I got them last fall, but as they've been treated with Ivermectin and I have no idea how much is just normal cecals or not and I haven't been able to find out who, I've just been watching the situation and everything has seemed otherwise fine in that regard until now. Now I suspect the runny yellow stools may be him?

Everyone else seems fine.

Sorry for the disgusting photos. He was perfectly fine just 24hrs before these photos.

20220118_102350~2.jpg

20220118_102334(0).jpg

20220118_102358(0).jpg

20220117_173642.jpg

20220117_174004.jpg

Last edited:
The first thing you must do is have a fecal sample read by either a large animal vet or an avian vet with poultry experience. If you can't find one, try this place.
https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/...er.201126.Veterinary_Laboratory_Services.html
At any rate, it is imperative to find out what nasty things are going on in his gut.
I once had a situation where every bird in one of my flocks had messy vents. I almost wormed them but instead spent a day finding a vet that would read a fecal without needing to see 'the patient'. I would have been wasting time had I just wormed them prophylactically. It turned out they didn't have worms but rather a severe clostridial bacterial infection. The vet gave me an antibiotic specific to the bacteria that cleared up the entire situation. The only downside was I had to get rid of all the eggs for 6 weeks after they had just resumed laying for the season.

The first thing you must do is have a fecal sample read by either a large animal vet or an avian vet with poultry experience. If you can't find one, try this place.
https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/...er.201126.Veterinary_Laboratory_Services.html
At any rate, it is imperative to find out what nasty things are going on in his gut.
I once had a situation where every bird in one of my flocks had messy vents. I almost wormed them but instead spent a day finding a vet that would read a fecal without needing to see 'the patient'. I would have been wasting time had I just wormed them prophylactically. It turned out they didn't have worms but rather a severe clostridial bacterial infection. The vet gave me an antibiotic specific to the bacteria that cleared up the entire situation. The only downside was I had to get rid of all the eggs for 6 weeks after they had just resumed laying for the season.
Thanks! Hopefully it's this straightforward. :fl If I have to do another round of antibiotics, it's a good time of year for it at least, as I'm getting fewer eggs anyway.

It is always better to know what malady one is treating before giving meds.
I didn't read in your post that you had already given antibiotics. What bacteria were you treating with those antibiotics?
One thing they need now that antibiotics have been given is some probiotics to fix the microbiome in the gut. If the lab finds more malign bacteria and prescribe more antibiotics, they'll need another round of probiotics afterward.
This is the product I use.
https://gro2max.com/

@ChickenCanoe

Last fall, they were dewormed with Ivermectin for roundworms, and they were also given 2 rounds (10 days, then 14 days) of oxytetracycline powder in water for chronic mild respiratory issues to no avail. Suspected persistent MG or IB. They finished in late Nov. I gave up and just decided to live with it and see how they fare over the winter and make decisions from there. They get sneezy everytime the temp drops. :confused:

I've been giving them "Chick'n Gut" mixed with their water. I also have "Stress Aid" on hand.

Attachments

• 20220118_125523.jpg
    20220118_125523.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220118_125537.jpg
    20220118_125537.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Zest has rallied, but Lemon, his twin brother with the same symptoms, passed away quietly in his sleep last night.

I sent a stool sample into the lab last Thurs and am awaiting results. Long story, but I suspect mycotoxicosis (moldy food). I've since dealt with the suspect food. Chalk it up to my learning curve. sigh

I'll report back if/when I get further info, for others researching in the future.

@ChickenCanoe

Last fall, they were dewormed with Ivermectin for roundworms, and they were also given 2 rounds (10 days, then 14 days) of oxytetracycline powder in water for chronic mild respiratory issues to no avail. Suspected persistent MG or IB. They finished in late Nov. I gave up and just decided to live with it and see how they fare over the winter and make decisions from there. They get sneezy everytime the temp drops. :confused:

I've been giving them "Chick'n Gut" mixed with their water. I also have "Stress Aid" on hand.
Good effort on all that. However, the chic'n'gut, while it has constituents and supplements that enhance the environment for a good microbiome, it contains no friendly bacteria or yeasts.

Good effort on all that. However, the chic'n'gut, while it has constituents and supplements that enhance the environment for a good microbiome, it contains no friendly bacteria or yeasts.
OK, I'll look for something else. We have less selection in Canada, and different products, so I have to find what's analogous to the probiotics you use.

The Gro2Max (bionaturalsinstitute) is a global company so I would think you can order it online.
In a pinch some plain yogurt or kefir will help.
In my experience, literally every single time, ordering any such products from the US adds outrageous shipping costs, and possibly customs costs, to the point that it isn't worth it. Like a $7 package will end up costing $50-100. But I've emailed them, awaiting a response.

Back
Top Bottom