Cockerel (?) with vent wound *Bloody Bum pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rsallison, Aug 11, 2014.

1. rsallison

rsallison Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    So, our Spangle English Orpington Cockerel (we think) got stuck behind a board in our kennel, head in, bum out, and was completely assaulted by some of the hens. It was obvious who, they had blood all over their faces...yuck. Anyhow, got him out, snipped the feathers around his vent to see better, gave him a warmish bum bath and tried to see what was going on. I just coated the whole area with antibiotic ointment, and have him in a pen in our mud room for now. He spent quite a while wrapped up in a towel with me, and then sitting on my daughters lap in the towel. Seems like the dripping blood stemmed itself quickly, but it's like hamburger in parts back there. Here are the pics after the bath. I am primarily concerned about the white just flowing from his vent. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He has had one poop in the pen. It was blackish, but I assume that's due to the blood. Just hoping for some advice on additional things to do. No access to an avian vet in our area, so that's out. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He may need a warm bath daily to keep his bum clean while it is healing, and epsom salts work well in the bath to soothe. Apply your favorite antibiotic ointment, and just keep him clean and flies away from it. Make sure any redness is gone or healed when you need to put him back with the others.

3. rsallison

Jun 26, 2010
    Thanks! Any idea about the white stuff?

4. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    That looks to be chicken urine. When they poo the urine is on top making the whitish mess on top. Being pecked in the vent may have irritated hopefully not damaged the internal area that controls the release of the urine.

One our Welsummer hens laid a very large egg that we had to massage and soak her hinney to get it out. After it was laid we had to trim her fluffy butt as she was draining like your roo. She had to be cleaned and neosporin on her vent to heal. It took a week of treatment, separated in a dog crate with the flock as company.

Hope he recovers quickly and completely.

5. rsallison

Jun 26, 2010
    Thank you for all your advice. Unfortunately, he died this morning. There must have been something really damaged inside. At least he is not suffering any longer.
    The joys and sorrows of farm life.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by