1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockerels’ quest to be the Alfa is shot down. (Pics)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RL, Jan 17, 2010.

1. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    I thought it would be good to show for those who have never seen what a spat for dominance between two Cockerels looks like; and no, this is not a cock fight. It is just chickens being chickens and a younger Cockerel testing an older Cockerel. It only lasted a minute or two and neither one got hurt except maybe the younger’s pride.

The SLW is the older Cockerel and the Alfa – He will be a year old April 10th. He was a little more then 3 weeks old when I put the then six day old BB with him and they have ran around like brothers ever since, but yes, it is time to separate them. I just thought the pic’s were pretty cool and thought I would share a moment of time in my backyard. Never a dull moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Those Pictures are great!! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Awesome pics. Beautiful birds. [​IMG]

4. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    Thank you. My brother took the pictures. He likes to come out now and then and get chicken pictures. He always wanted pics like that.

5. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    WOW those are really great action photos! and I should say very pretty roos! Since I don't know my chicken breeds yet [​IMG] , which is the oldest? Thanks for sharing!

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:the white and black one :)

7. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Great pictures, part of the pecking order. I have a silkie roo, little guy who just won't back down from a full grown turkey hen. She is over 12 inches taller. I actually have to break it up sometimes. He just won't let her bully him.

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    WOW, those pics are GREAT!

9. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    Quote:the white and black one :)

ahhhh because the red colored one is flat on his back! [​IMG] thanks, I really didn't know!

10. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Gorgeous photos and birds. I'm in a photography class at my school right now and I want to buy my own big professinal like camera [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by