Cockerels? (3 weeks old)

curious chickee

Songster
Mar 18, 2015
central valley, California
These are two out of the three Ameracaunas (EE) pullets I got from belt hatchery at the feed store. The feed store said they would replace or refund if they are cockerels since there was some craziness on the day picked them up. Some boxes were not labeled others were just mixed together. So these have me thinking they are cockerels but I would value your opinion. Both are single comb (no pink), no tail feathers, and some red patches on wings. They walk and act more like cockerels. (my 3rd chick which is typical pullet coloring, long tail feathers, and peac comb.). I don't plan on keeping them if they are cockerels because of the single comb

Chick #1

Chick #2

Actually, they don't appear to be EEs at all. Even though technically Easter Egger is really a loose term to describe any mixed breed that lays a colored egg, hatcheries have sort of standardized them. Hatchery quality EEs will have a pea comb and usually (not always) have dark colored legs. Some people say chicks look like little chipmunks. These look like something more along the lines of a production red. It still may be a bit early to tell gender for sure, but I don't see any alarming signs of a cockerel.

Last edited:
Those aren't EE's. Even though hatchery birds are far from real ameracaunas they are would have a pea comb. Like the other post suggested, they look like production reds. It's still very early to be sure but I'm not seeing any signs of a cockerel yet.

Last edited:
If they are RIR as belt calls them then that would explain all the red feathers. I just assumed they were a different color since they had dark stripes. Hope they are hens as the big comb and no tail feathers was making me nervous.

I don't see any definite rooster signs. However, they do appear to have rather thick legs and a tall stance, so could still be cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom