Cockerels acting like pullets?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Oceanpizza, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Oceanpizza

Oceanpizza Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2017
    Hello all. I have 19 chickens, 17 of which are pullets and 2 are cockerels. Over the past few weeks, I have seen a Buff Orpington cockerel act like some of the pullets. I have observed him cackling with some of the pullets, and imitate laying an egg, liking getting into a nesting box, making a nest out of wood shavings, and sitting there for ~5 minutes; afterwards he gets out (without laying an egg), and walks off like nothing out of the norm happened. On I have also seen a pullets sound a warning call when an eagle was seen, but that was on one occasion. So, is it normal for one gender of chicken to act like the other?

2. diamondsilkies

diamondsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    I don't know about the other stuff, but sometimes my roosters will go into the nesting box to show the hens that it's a good place to lay, or make little nests for their hens. They'll sit there to show the hens that it's safe place.

3. ThenNotSoChickenMaster

ThenNotSoChickenMaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2017
    Yeah, I think its all normal. I've also seen my rooster get on the nesting boxes, sit there and leave, then watched as the hen laid an egg.

Roosters can also make a cackling sound, my rooster does it all the time.

Now, I've heard if a flock doesn't have a rooster, one of the chickens will act as "leader" and take the place of a rooster. They might even grow spurs, crow, etc.
    Not sure if it goes the same for a rooster.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They are not acting like the other gender.
    Males will go into a nest to show the girls 'this is good spot'.
    Vocalizations are not gender specific, except crowing, tho some females will crow too.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by