Cockerels longterm rattling, coughing for over 2 months....

ChuckieChuck

In the Brooder
May 18, 2021
Hi there,
I hope you can help -please?
I have 6 chickens 4 hens and 2 turned out to be roosters (Australorps). They are about 6 months. Now for over 2 months the roosters are coughing /rattling when breathing. Sometimes you can hear the rattling even from a distance. No other symptoms. They eat but I won't say they are at there best. Some days seem worse than others. I have been to the vet who gave them antibiotics. He also did a flowchart but says no worms. The hens are fine no symptoms whatsoever.
I scoop the poop in the coop every day 😏 They free-range most of the day. Tried finely chopped fresh herbs (garlic, thyme, rosemary and oregano in the water and in the food for weeks). Add a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar (with Mother) to the water twice a week. Bought probiotics. The vet recommended special vitamins. I feed them grains, layers mash, extra veggies and little fruit. They have grit.
The antibiotics didn't make a lot of difference (14 days course).
It's very sad watching them not knowing how to help. I live in southern Italy and by now the weather is starting to heat up with temperatures in the 100 being normal for most of the summer.
I would be very grateful for any help. Thank you 💕

:welcome:woot:woot:celebrate:yesss:Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Awesome poultry Forum to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members who are more then willing to jump in and help you with any questions you may have. :)

Hi and welcome to BYC. This link may be helpful - http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044. Good luck
Hello Pork Pie,
Thank you. I did read this before like so many other.
I was hoping that sb had a similar issue. They are ill now for over 10 weeks and I was hoping that someone had a similar thing or suggestions what else I could try. It just seems such a long time....
I hope you have a nice day.

Welcome to BYC! I'm sorry that you are having problems with this.
A couple of things that I can think of that could cause rattling without other symptoms are wet fowl pox, gapes and aspergillus.
I'm not sure if gapeworms would show up in a common float test.
Also there is aspergillus which comes from mold in the environment or food.
I'm sure there are other things to consider and I hope someone else can help.
Fowlpox can cause rattling, but usually causes facial swelling as well.
What antibiotics did the vet prescribe?
Are the cockrels in direct contact and/or housed with the pullets?
A photo of them might be helpful.

Welcome to BYC! I'm sorry that you are having problems with this.
A couple of things that I can think of that could cause rattling without other symptoms are wet fowl pox, gapes and aspergillus.
I'm not sure if gapeworms would show up in a common float test.
Also there is aspergillus which comes from mold in the environment or food.
I'm sure there are other things to consider and I hope someone else can help.
Fowlpox can cause rattling, but usually causes facial swelling as well.
What antibiotics did the vet prescribe?
Are the cockrels in direct contact and/or housed with the pullets?
A photo of them might be helpful.
Hello Janiedoe,
Thank you for your reply. The vet prescribed Baytril. It brought the information down so they could craw again. But no other changes in 2 weeks.
Their faces aren't swallen and there is nothing coming out of the nostrils or eyes.
I thought of gapeworm and bought chemisole 2.5%. But after the flowchart result I didn't give it to them.
Here in Italy it's a very dry climate. The girls get the same food as the roosters. Could it still be aspergilliose?
I had the roos separated for a while but when the vet said to give the antibiotics to everyone I put them back together. This was a months ago. Thanks again for your input
💕

Attachments

• 16213324488288548986292756873991.jpg
    16213324488288548986292756873991.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 1
I don't really know a whole lot about respiratory infections, I just read a lot. I have had pox in my flock. As far as I know aspergillus spores need moisture to grow.
I'm going to tag @casportpony and @Eggcessive
who are very knowledgeable all around.
You can probably get more and better advice in the emergency forum.
Good luck with your flock! I hope everything works out.

There are a number of respiratory diseases, some from viruses, bacteria, and mold spores (fungus.) MG is a common one. They can get diseases through their hatchiing egg, from wild birds, and from other poultry. Baytril is a very strong antibiotic and can treat MG. Have you noticed a bad odor from the heads of the roosters? That could be associated with coryza. If you have seen eye bubbles or foam, or swollen eyelids, that could be MG or coryza.

Respiratory viruses will not respond to antibiotics, but will last a month or so. I would concentrate on getting them to drink well, and offer foods that will encourage them to eat. Mixing a little water in the feed can help, and scrambled egg or tuna can be given in small amounts. Plain yogurt is helpful for probiotics. Hopefully they will feel better soon. Most respiratory diseases can be chronic. Make sure there is no mold around the coop, and make sure your coop ventilation is maximized. Droppings should be removed often and bedding kept clean and dry.

Back
Top Bottom