Cockerels Mating w/Cockerels??!! Normal??!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gresh, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hey all. I have a bit of a nasty situation on my hands and was wondering if you all thought it was normal. I purchased some chicks from IDEAL Poultry about three and a half months ago. Included was a male White Leghorn and a male Russian Orloff. Recently, the fast-maturing Leghorn reached mating age and began to do his thing with my female Russian Orloff--but then, to my horror, he began to try it out on my MALE Russian Orloff. And I know that it is a MALE Orloff because he has developed male hackle and sickle feathers, and is showing some male saddle-feather growth. He also fights like a male and uses his barely-visible spurs when kicking.
    This is just sickening to me. The Orloff cockerel has been living in mortal dread of this Leghorn monster and runs from him as soon as he gets close. He's starting to lose feathers on his back just like hens do, but he's obviously not a pullet.
    I would like to get opinions on this. Since the Leghorn is hatchery stock (and we all know some of the genetic weirdos that come from hatcheries), I thought maybe he's a little wrong upstairs. But, since he's so young, I'm not sure if he's really got the gender thing down yet.
    The Leghorn has also began to mate with my male Jersey Giant. This is really getting under my skin and I've GOT to get rid of this Mediterranean menace. Please give suggestions, experience stories, and anything else that may help!

Thanks and God bless!

2. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know for sure but I read on here somewhere that this is a dominance thing....they do this for awhile to see who is first in the pecking order so to speak...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Separate 'em or get rid of the ones you really don't want.

It happens. . . If it doesn't solve on its own, I say get rid of the problem guy. The mating is a dominance thing. Especially if the victim is a submissive type instead of a fighter.

4. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have a jerk cockerel that does this too.He is young and tries with anything that does not get out of the way. He is one of the birds DH named as a chick, so I hope he straightens out . Right now we have hens that haven't matured and hopefully when they grow up Jake will get some ladies, and stop being a jerk. If not he goes to the chop block, named or not.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I suspect he is just flooded with testosterone, spiking in early adolescence. I've seen cockerels mount shoes, branches, pullets far too young to mate, other cockerels, an empty can of Pepsi..... They're crazy with sex until the hormone level evens out.

It's a combination of Pecking Order/Dominance and early, high levels of hormones as they come into age. I had one that was so frenzied he injured and killed a couple of young pullets, dominated and mounted one low-ranking rooster (full grown) and terrorized another cockerel so much he wouldn't come out of the corner of the coop. Roy was the worst case and I had him culled. Permanently, not just removed from the flock and rehomed. Dead. Wilbur now ranges freely with the rest of the flock and Charlie's comb has healed. Flock harmony has been re-established, although with fewer members. (Roy himself and the pullets whose necks he broke.)

Most of the other roosters I have go through the "mount everything" phase, but not to the extent of that one nasty bantam cochin cockerel. I tried everything, picking him up and carrying him around, pressing him to the ground with both hands until he submitted, everything. He'd be "good" for a day, then start in on the others again.

6. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I just gave away a rooster today that kept mounting my poor little call ducks. My son asked me to shoot the cockerel because he kept "attacking" his favorite duck.

7. shelby528

shelby528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Ontario
    I have the same problem as we speak and what I do...I tied my one rooster up! seriously it works...he still has enough room to forage and mount my hens but I need both roosters to ward off my goose...who is kind of a jerk but its 22 years old so I cant get rid of him lol. [​IMG] I had one last year who was just young enough to mate and I agree empty can of pepsi, my foot anything he could mount he would...so i took him to a barrel and tied him up may not be the best solution but it sure works, plus it gave my other rooster time to mature and now they get along fine..but i do keep an eye on them [​IMG]

8. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I wondered if it was that. It just didn't seem "right" for him to be going homo. [​IMG]

9. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    It's his age. Some young cockerels will breed anything that doesn't move out of their way at that age. As he matures and the hormones level out, he'll save his energies for the hens as long as you have enough of them.

10. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Good suggestion, but I've been trying to get rid of him, and nobody will take 'im [​IMG] He came as an extra and I already gave fifteen of his hatchmates to a neighbor, who absolutely will not take anymore roos. But if he won't leave the Orloff alone, I might just take him out behind the barn and do away with him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by