Cockerels not doing there job. :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pivotman94, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Pivotman94

Pivotman94 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2014
    Hi guys,

So I just got an Incubater and wanted to hatch out some chicks but after 13 days in the incubater there is zero sign of life.
    This can only mean that cockerels are not doing there job. I have two cockerels who don't seem to be to intersted in the hens?

Is there any way to get them intersted?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    well how old are they?

3. Pivotman94

Apr 25, 2014
    Not to sure really. They were given to me.
    I would say old a few years at least.

I got a new rooster, a young leghorn and very slowly introduced him into the flock.
    It went well at first a few little fights but I have so much space they all seemed to stay away from one another.
    He was very good up until now. I think one of the older roosters has scared him and he is no longer chasing the girls.

What can I do? :/

4. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    a cockerel is a male chicken under the age of one and a rooster is a male over the age of one, a cockerel may be too young to mate but if you think they are a few years old they may just be shooting blanks. and it is the pecking order the older roo may just have shoved him so far down the pecking order that he isn't willing to risk fighting just to mate or the other ones may just not be allowing him to do so.

5. Pivotman94

Apr 25, 2014
    So whats the best thing to do. Find new home for the old fellas?

6. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    I would get rid of them if they were shooting blanks, you can find a new home or butcher them your choice, I would say you could keep them still just as yard candy if you can't part with them but if they are chasing the leghorn off so he can't mate, and you aren't getting any fertlie eggs then I would get rid of them.

7. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    You didn't really specify any real timelines....

We've had hens stop laying for two weeks after being moved from a coop, to another coop, five feet away.

We've had cockerels that inseminate everything that moved (even my boots), but not touched new hens for several weeks.

We've had new hens missing tail feathers (and no fertile eggs) for weeks because they resisted the roosters.

We've had old hens just decide they didn't like the cocks/roosters for no reason and thrown away incubated eggs that previously would have been fertilized.

And the absolute WORST offense: I changed everyone from crumbles to pellets. I'm not even sure those chickens knew if they should mutiny or commit seppuku.

Point being: give them time. Everyone may need to adjust. Sometimes it takes longer than others.

This is our experiences, hopefully it helps.

1 person likes this.
  8. Pivotman94

Apr 25, 2014
    I have a few eggs in the incubator now to check and see whats what. If they are infertile I will have to do some thing about the old fellas as they are chasing the leghorn off.
    I will know in a week or so. :/

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  10. Pivotman94

Apr 25, 2014
    I had not, Didn't know you could do that.

Still learning day by day! :)

Ok well the good news is that two eggs laid today seem fertile so maybe my fellas are doing more then I thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by