Cockerels or Pullets? Too Early? 2 Olive Eggers @ 4.5 Weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HollywoodHillsHens, Jul 7, 2011.

1. HollywoodHillsHens

HollywoodHillsHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Can you suss out the gender of these two olive egger chickens? Hatched them in-house. Any explanations would also be awesome - thanks!!

This is "Thing 1"

[​IMG]

And here's the sibling, "Thing 2" (the blue one - we already know the 5 week old white one is 90% a pullet [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

Long shot of Thing 2:

[​IMG]

2. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    boy
    girl
    They feather out differently

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:i agree and thing two is a blue ameracauna. just a fyi.

4. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    Quote:i agree and thing two is a blue ameracauna. just a fyi.

FYI as noted by the posted they are olive eggers and ameracanas do not have feathered shankes [​IMG] it is to yong to tell geender just yet and feather sexing would not be 100% because of the cross breeding

5. HollywoodHillsHens

HollywoodHillsHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the replies, everybody!! I'll post more photos of the "things" as they get a bit older. Holding off on naming them until I can get a sense of their gender - don't want to get particularly attached to a roo...

6. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Thing 1 looks just like my little OE cockerel did at that age. I had the one cockerel and two pullets. The girls feathered in faster with bigger tails. My little guy had the tiniest tail and the thickest legs! I could tell that he was a he by the time he was 4 weeks old. Not only did he act and look like a little roo but his body also felt more solid and muscular. We had to rehome him due to our city's noise ordinance. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by