1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockerels or pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kalanii, Aug 6, 2015.

1. kalanii

kalanii New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    Our three chicks are around 3 months old now and I'm thinking the Polish is looking like a roo (sadface). The other two were sold as Amerecauna (sorry if I spelled that wrong). They're looking more like pullets. But I'm still fairly new to chickens so I'd love some other opinions!! Apologies for the bad pics, they're a little spastic and don't like to stand still.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am thinking you have three cockerels there. I see what looks like saddle feathers on all three. Not totally sure though.

3. kalanii

kalanii New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    That would make me so sad :(

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    All three of them look like cockerels to me. Sorry. :eek:(

5. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    [​IMG]

I agree, all look like cockerels.

6. bbhorsefly

bbhorsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    Just going on my experience, I haven't seen 3mo cockerels with such pale small combs as your two reds. Their stance seems rooish, but I don't see anything that screams "cockerel" to me. I'd hold out hope for the two reds a few more weeks.

7. Oliver Douglas

Oliver Douglas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    They look like a British Rock Band from the 60's....[​IMG] Hope some are pullets...

8. aurinia

aurinia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2015
    Upstate NY
    In the last 2 pics, it looks like saddle feathers coming in on the one in the middle. Can't really tell on the other one. Also, the reds look like hatchery-quality spangled Russian Orloffs.

9. kalanii

kalanii New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some updated pictures. Sorry the quality is so low, they're extremely skittish and difficult to get near. The Polish from before is definitely a roo, he has been crowing for weeks. No crowing from these two and they are very close to the Polish rooster, they pretty much are at his side 24/7. Now that they're a few months older, is their gender more obvious? I'm kinda stumped. Also, they were sold as amerecauna but I'm pretty sure they're not!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So they're around 5 months? I'm thinking pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by