Cockerels or pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by raisechickens, Oct 20, 2015.

1. raisechickens

raisechickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2015
    They are 16 weeks old and were supposed to be barred rocks or barred rock crosses when I bought them. Are they pullets or cockerels?[​IMG]

2. raisechickens

Oct 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Looks like cockerels...

4. raisechickens

Oct 7, 2015
    I am hoping for pullets but afraid they are cockerels. I bought 3 barred rocks at the county fair. The oldest one ended up being a rooster which is fine as I was wanting a rooster. I figured at least one of these two would be a pullet but over the last couple weeks their combs and waddles have really grown. Anyone else have an opinion?

5. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hmm, I wanna say pullets because of the way there waddles are shaped, but if you haven't gotten any eggs from any of them yet they are definitely all cockerels.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    At 16 weeks (if I am reading the OP correctly) the lack of eggs is not about gender, but maturity.
    Honestly, I'm leaning point-of-lay pullets here.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Looked at the pictures again, their shape does seem hen-like but it looks like their saddle feathers could be pointy, hard to tell though.

8. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

I'm leaning that point too, I'm not sure, what's the month age for them? They actually might be pullets like ol grey says.

9. raisechickens

Oct 7, 2015
    They are darker than my rooster as you can see in the pic. I am not familiar with BR's so I wasn't sure if they are developing like pullets or not. Not sure what "month age" means. [​IMG]

10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Roosters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by