Cockerels or pullets?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by miss maple, Mar 23, 2017.

1. miss maple

miss maple Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2017
    Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to keeping chickens and member here on byc confirmed a feeling that one of my pullets was actually a cockerel, but now I can't help but eyeball all of them suspiciously! Please help!

The red and black with lacing should be at least 20 weeks (Olive eggers) and the black and gray should be around 24 weeks (Araucanas). No eggs or crowing yet though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    [​IMG]
    Hi! The first one looks like a boy. The others look like pullets, from what I can see. Have fun with your flock!

3. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Also, you have ameraucanas, not auraucanas. Auraucanas don't have tails. :)

4. miss maple

Mar 22, 2017
    Thanks peopleRanimals2, you'd think at 24 weeks he would be crowing by now so I could be certain and contact the breeder. Maybe he wants to keep me guessing hehe. At least as far as roos go, he's one of the friendliest of the bunch.

I get confused with the araucanas/americanas here (I'm in Australia), they seem to be mostly all called araucanas, but have tails. Gotta love their little 'hair dos' though [​IMG]

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Australia, the UK and the US all have different standards for Araucanas and Ameraucanas. I can't keep them straight.

6. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Haha, yeah. Our ameraucana roo actually crowed pretty late, he was older than yours is now. I am pretty sure you have a rooster, based on the tail feathers. :) [​IMG]

7. miss maple

Mar 22, 2017
    Yeah the tail feathers brought on the suspicion, but only just started getting longer. That and the much thicker legs than the rest. I've been giving him the side eye the last couple weeks haha.How was your Ameraucana roo temperament-wise? Ok with people and his harem hehe? This one seems to be very mellow, just sits next to me and hangs out, so I think I'll keep him around. Also, how much older was he when he crowed? I'm wondering how much longer I can keep his manhood secret hehehe

8. peopleRanimals2

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Mine wasn't aggressive, but he was a little shy. I'm not sure how much older, he only crowed once when my dog barked at him. [​IMG]Then, unfortunately, he had to go. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by