1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cockerels or pullets!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ellybean, Aug 19, 2014.

1. ellybean

ellybean New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Waldheim, Sask., Canada
    I'm so very new to all of this! I have 7 chickens, most of which I "think" are female but I'm sure one isn't, I would love all you experienced folks opinion on whether they are male or female :) thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first image is the two Cochins, Houdini is the farthest front which I have my suspicions is my cockerel, the other Cochin especially compared to the other is violet whom I think is a pullet. The next is my two black maran/Easter egger mixes named sweet and sour, I "think" they are pullets but I'm not sure, they are so much bigger than the others, I assume it's cause of the maran in the cross? The last two are my Easter egger pullets, I think, smoke is the blue, and the last two are creme and truffles. Thanks everyone :) these guys are all 8 weeks old, any input would be appreciated, thanks!!

Elly

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The first Cochin closest in the pic would vote roo for sure. The EE closest in the second pic has more comb than I like to see in an eight week old EE.

3. ellybean

ellybean New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Waldheim, Sask., Canada
    Yeah Houdini is a too for sure I think, cute lil guy, the black in the second pick is the ee/maran cross, and both black birds are nearly identical :/ I thought since there was different mix of genetics that would explain the combs? Geez I hope I don't have more than one roo! I better ask around if anyone wants to rehome a roo just in case! Thanks :)

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Houdini and both the oe's (black marans/ees) look like roosters.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Agreed.

6. ellybean

ellybean New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Waldheim, Sask., Canada
    Oh nooooooo <.< that's a lot of Roos lol, I need to find some good homes for em!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, only Houdini and the black bird behind him look like cockerels.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by