Cockerels overbreeding...will they grow out of it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Paully3, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Paully3

Paully3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    The Thumb of Michigan
    We have two young roos, both about 9 months old, over 23 various breeds of hens. They both get along Ok and tolerate people well enough. We have them to keep an eye out for hawks and other predators, and they do a decent job of it. The only problem I'm having is that they tend to over breed our hens. Poor girls are losing feathers off their backs and the back of their heads. Is this something the boys will settle down on as they mature? Or should I be looking for a couple of new, gentle flock managers?

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    As they get older they will calm down a little - but thats just my experience. If they are overbreeding now, chances are they will continue to do it in the future.

Once I had a sweet EE roo and a little Cochin bantam roo together looking after my flock of hens. It was the sweetest thing.

If I were you, I would choose the rooster I liked better and get rid of the other one. Just my opinion though, and let me tell you - there are lots of opinions. :)

3. Paully3

Sep 11, 2013
    The Thumb of Michigan
    Yeah...it seems as though there are always roosters available cheap or free. Some of my hens are ragged looking while others are not so much. Will they breed the same hens over and over while leaving some alone entirely?

4. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Roosters can "sense" which hens are laying, and which ones are not. They will not mount the ones that are not laying, but they will mount the girls that are.

However I've had a few very excitable young roos that mounted whatever hen they could catch, laying or not. So I think the "sense" thing is more common with older and wiser roosters.

5. Paully3

Sep 11, 2013
    The Thumb of Michigan
    One of our roos was on everything he could get to slow down long enough for him to get on...we named him Toad, as in horny toad...lol

6. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    [​IMG] Chickens have a very low IQ it seems!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by