**Cockerels????? (pics)**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tripp16, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok so I got these new chicks and I think these two are cockerels mainly because they have the biggest combs. The others arent quite developed. What do you guys think???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is them with the others.....

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. Hanh3197

Hanh3197 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    Looks like it

3. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    The one in the second picture looks like a Roo for sure. The first one is hard to tell from the front. God luck! Hopefully you are ok having some Roos!
    Enjoy![​IMG]

4. tbrz70

tbrz70 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Dont they all have the combs? Dont they grow at different rates of speed so they could be more developed?? This coming from a "new egg"

5. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well they do all have combs but sometimes tr Roos of the groups develop theirs faster. Thats why I thought I'd ask. You are right though they all develop in their own time. [​IMG]

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    The color of the comb is just as important if not more important than the size. Pullets will grow little combs but they won't turn red until just before they are ready to lay, while cockerels can have red combs well before that. Breed does play a role in comb development. That's why it's always good to be able to compare hatchmates of the same breed.

7. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    yep I agree most definitely roosters! I have raised all kinds of breeds and the red comb is a dead giveaway the ones that are hardest to determine are walnut or pea combs but the color is the best way to tell. Also if you see waddles forming early like in the first pic, which are also red. Leghorn hens have prob the largest comb and they don't turn red until later like said above, just before laying. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by