Cockerels with 5 week old chicks

am7039

Songster
May 26, 2021
I currently have a flock consisting of 9 4 month old pullets, 2 4 month old cockerels and 6 5 week old chicks. Right now my 2 cockerels are in a bachelor coop seperate and my pullets and chicks are in a small barn that we customized to have two seperat pens, one on each side. With the real cold weather not too far away here in New York, I would like to get everyone in the barn due to it having electricity. I do not want to integrate the boys in with the pullets but would I be safe to put them in with the younger group of chicks or would they harm them?

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Why wouldn't you integrate the chicks with the pullets and put the cockerels on the other side after the integration is over? It should be easy to move the pullets on one side, the chicks on the other. Leave them that way for 7 to 10 days then fashion a door big enough for the chicks to get out but the pullets can't fit through. I would make more than one little door. Have lots of things to perch on and hide behind on both sides of the pen.
Are you planning on letting the cockerels live with the flock once the older pullets are laying?
Are the chicks sexed or straight run?
How much space do you have in the barn for them? Does it have access to the outdoors? The birds still go outside during winter. Most tend to avoid deep snow but will go through shoveled out paths and it's important for them to have lots and lots of fresh air all year round. They also enjoy sitting in the sun during the winter.

am7039

Songster
May 26, 2021
Why wouldn't you integrate the chicks with the pullets and put the cockerels on the other side after the integration is over? It should be easy to move the pullets on one side, the chicks on the other. Leave them that way for 7 to 10 days then fashion a door big enough for the chicks to get out but the pullets can't fit through. I would make more than one little door. Have lots of things to perch on and hide behind on both sides of the pen.
Are you planning on letting the cockerels live with the flock once the older pullets are laying?
Are the chicks sexed or straight run?
How much space do you have in the barn for them? Does it have access to the outdoors? The birds still go outside during winter. Most tend to avoid deep snow but will go through shoveled out paths and it's important for them to have lots and lots of fresh air all year round. They also enjoy sitting in the sun during the winter.
I found my pullets are pretty nasty to the chicks in past integrations. I typically keep the. Seperate till the are big enough to hold their own. The barn has doors to access the run. Currently the chicks will get seperate time out in the pen from the older girls and once they get bigger I start letting them have time out with the pullets to begin integrating them. The chicks are all pullets and right now I do not plan on putting the roosters in with the flock. They will remain in the bachelor coop until winter. It would just make life a little easier. Not only is the barn insulated but with electricity.

Top Bottom