Cockfighting and other behaviors

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cheri, May 30, 2007.

1. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Do just the roosters do this or will a hen do it also? If not then Rocky is a cockeral. And why does Rowdy want to eat my wedding ring?

2. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I can't answer the fighting thing but I can answer the wedding ring one. It is shiny and it looks good to them at least that is what mine think

3. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Well Rowdy really loves shiny things. He will even peck at my glasses. LOL.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hens usually peck at each other and puff up. Roosters will really go at it with each other. How old are your birds? Fighting isn't really the most reliable method to tell if they are male or female.

5. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    The "fighting" you speak of is them setting their pecking order. Lots of times a hard peck is all it takes, but if the two indiviuals, no matter roo or hen, don't back down from a peck you may see them throw some feet at one another. My buff and light brahma pullets have been doing this, esp. when they first come out of the coop onto the yard.

6. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Hens nd roos alike do this. Like previously stated, they are setting their pecking order. I would not guess a birds sex based on this behavior.

Birds love shiny things. well mine attack anything I have in my hand, hoping it is food![​IMG]

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My toes are painted red right now and the girls like to peck them!! OUCH! [​IMG]
    And, yes, they love to try and eat my wedding ring, too.

8. Cheri

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Well shoot. They are about 9 weeks now. I got them the day before Easter. I still don't know if Rocky is a hen or Roo. I guess if he/she starts crowing then I will know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by