Cockle shell?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jessica89, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Jessica89

Jessica89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Hello,
    I find constantly buying oyster shell is expensive.
    A friend brought us a lot of cockles and I was wondering if it would be safe to crush them up and feed them to the ducks instead?
    Thanks

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I'd suppose.
    Although cracking them up isnt needed for ducks.Ducks can swallow large things,my chicken shave swallowed bones,baby birds ETC,and probably a snake before,what about ducks?Sure they can do as well.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    This product contains both oyster and cockle shell. And I would crush them, because in order for the ducks' body to get the most calcium from the shells, you need smaller pieces because the calcium comes off the outside of the shell. If you have large pieces, then there is not as much surface area. I would also - since I have quite an imagination, and the ducks sometimes surpass that - be concerned about sharp edges on large pieces getting lodged and causing internal injury.

Yes, mine have occasionally swallowed things like large hickory nuts - nerve-wracking. But to serve them something, I would crush it up into small bits like the boughten oyster shell.

4. Jessica89

Jessica89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    I didn't realise they can swallow large things.. I always cut things up into smaller bits.. even tiny bits of lettuce!

I will crush them up and give them a wash to be on the safer side!
    Thanks for the replies!

5. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Chickens will clamp their scraps between their beak,then eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by