1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cockrel or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stephanie1992, Nov 4, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

its about a week old. likes to be around people. but it bites ur face and nose or eyes and it attacks other chicks. does that mean its a boy? It even bites the cats. its not afraid of anything. it chased my cat today. and it will chase me if i walk away from it. it runs flapping its wings. it runs at ur hand when u go to get it out of the brooder, it dont run from u at all. is it a boy or a overly friendly, curiose chick?

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Picture...... [​IMG] But in the future. At 1 week it's way too young to guess age. A lot if chicks will act like that. That behavior doesn't necessarily mean cockerel, becaue the majority of the cockerels I've had would run away from me and stay away.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  3. stephanie1992

Quote:i usully do post pics lol but i dont have a recent pic, trying to get my sis to send me one. i think she sent me a video. ill upload it if its good

4. stephanie1992

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Nope, too early to tell. Just a few more weeks -- usually you can tell cockerels from pullets around 4-6 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by