cockrels dieing off

cknhobbiest

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 3, 2010
Branch,MI
Have RIR Hens of multiple ages and trying to introduce a cockrel to the mix but the two I have placed there have died off not sure why but they seem to be shut out from the hens and wondering if I should not try to get a rooster instead of a cockrel or if this would be the problem with them dieing off in first place.

Thanks

Hens are probably bullying them so much they can't get to water and/or food. Try caging the next little guy in his own area for a few weeks instead of just letting him loose with the hens right away. It should help.

That could be a part of the problem as they did keep him away from the food and water but only when they were near ... The chickens are all free ranged ... wondering if I should find a cockrel or rooster that is a bit aggressive to put them hens in their place.

I think that they will outnumber him regardless. And if you get an aggressive roo then you will just have another problem to deal with. I agree with emys that it just needs some time to integrate into the flock.

If you have enough hens, get a pair of brothers. That way while one distracts them the other is eating. I'd still pen apart but within site for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom