COCKRELS PICKING ON CHICKS

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Roxannemc, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I have 7 (unwanted ) young cockrels about 6 months old. or so Lately a few are chasing my 8 week old chicks they ignored them before. this
    ..Anyone know why?
    They all free range in my large yard. plenty of food scratch etc.
    I felt sorry for them to sell them for meat Now im changing my mind. as they also all gang jump on my hens too which are afraid of them..I have to chase them off.
    Afraid the hens will be hurt

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Pecking order on the chicks.
    Raging hormones on the hens.

Past time for the unwanted cockerels to find the freezer.

3. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Yeah im thinkin the same

4. Someone here on BYC opened a rooster rescue. Try searching "I opened a rooster rescue"

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like you need to step up and remove the cockerels, either butcher, rehome, or confine to a bachelor pad. It's great to think of keeping a bunch of unwanted roosters because you feel sorry for them, but the reality is there's a reason why folks butcher unwanted male birds. It's nice to think of keeping roosters to "live out their lives", but once they gang bang your hens, trust me they taste great! You'll be amazed how much calmer, happier and productive your flock will be once they're removed.

2 people like this.
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Agreed. The rooster drama is nasty to watch. And they will gang up on one little hen, and beat the tar out of her. If they were my chicks, I'd send those hoodlums packing, either to freezer camp, or re-home them.

7. Almichfarmgirl

Almichfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2013
    Clinton, Connecticut
    We had a batch of young cockrels and they were nasty to eachother and eventually we had to get rid of all except one and there is a reason behind the saying "you can't have more than one rooster in the hen house". The girls appreciate the attention and protection from one stud and there is now peace at least in our barn. You need to get rid of the extras.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's only a matter of time until they injure one of the hens or kill a chick. They need either a separate pen or a trip to the freezer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by