Cockrels pooping in nest box?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FlightsofFancy, May 18, 2008.

1. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Just when I thought the new cockrels where finally getting along with my hens and everything was going good.....this happens. For the past 4 days I have gone out in the morning to collect my eggs and found them laying in poop! Not just a little...but alot! I caught my 12 week old cockrels sitting in there so I know it is them because my hens have never done this before.
    How do I stop this discusting habbit?

2. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Dinner?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't have an answer for you, Kelly, because if I don't drape a towel over the nestbox, I'll find my humongous Blue Orp rooster SUEDE in it. And that's alot of BIG poop, too. At least, when I go out there in the evening and find him in there and say, "Suede, get out of there!", he minds me!

4. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Well, I gave them a good cussing and put them in the goat house for the night. I hate to lock my goats up because they are like watch dogs for my hens, but lets hope it will be OK for a couple of nights until I figure this out. [​IMG]
    Hmmmmm....Mayby I should move the nesting box in with the goats and put my girls in there?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by