Cockroach Control

afviolettes

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2016
So, I don't have an infestation by any means... But I've noticed a few here and there and I hate them.

I only notice them if I'm in the coop at night for some reason (like adding some new chickens or doing some late night water/food). I've read some past posts that said using Boric Acid is safe...

My main question is when the boric acid does its job... And kills them... If the chickens eat them after they've died from the acid is that a problem?

So, I don't have an infestation by any means... But I've noticed a few here and there and I hate them.

I only notice them if I'm in the coop at night for some reason (like adding some new chickens or doing some late night water/food). I've read some past posts that said using Boric Acid is safe...

My main question is when the boric acid does its job... And kills them... If the chickens eat them after they've died from the acid is that a problem?
The wee vermin you noticed are likely Palmetto bugs. They look like big honking roach bugs but they only live outside especially under lose boards or rock slabs. Google Palmetto bugs and Croton Bugs to learn about the difference.

I would let the Palmetto bugs off the hook that is unless you want to go fishing in which case they make excellent fish bait when you put them on a hook, the call is yours.

Last edited:
The wee vermin you noticed are likely Palmetto bugs.  They look like big honking roach bugs but they only live outside especially under lose boards or rock slabs.  Google Palmetto bugs and Croton Bugs to learn about the difference.  

Interesting, I'll have to take a closer look next time in the coop... Regardless do I need take care of them or just wait for the chickens to finally notice them.::.

Quote:
Because they only come out after dark and even then they stay close to cover, chickens will be an inefficient control species. But your chickens (and yourself) may get some good exercise by going into the coop during the day and turning over every lose thing in sight. Chickens are quick learners when a food reward is offered so it may produce some real giggles as well as bonding your birds to you. The worst thing that could happen is that your hens will look up to you like you are a god.

Last edited:
Quote:
Because they only come out after dark and even then they stay close to cover, chickens will be an inefficient control species. But your chickens (and yourself) may get some good exercise by going into the coop during the day and turning over every lose thing in sight. Chickens are quick learners when a food reward is offered so it may produce some real giggles as well as bonding your birds to you. The worst thing that could happen is that your hens will look up to you like you are a god.
George, scored a picture of one tonight near the house... Is this what you classify as a palemetto bug?

Looks like it to me. I don't care what they are....all of them make me sick and they have to go. When we still lived at the edge of the woods I called an exterminator for some I found on back patio. He insisted they were "wood roaches" and would not live inside my house. I ddn't care, I had him spray the outside of my house anyway. They just looked too close to what they call German roaches to me. And btw...."wood roaches" fly. I later discovered that the exterminator was absolutely correct ....wood roaches or palmetto bugs do not thrive inside....they may "wander" through but it is actually not the correct environment for them.

Back
Top Bottom