Cockroaches

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Star and eclipsa, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Star and eclipsa

Star and eclipsa Songster

Nov 3, 2017
    Clermont, Florida
    Can my chickens eat cockroaches? I caught one last night and im not sure if i should let them eat it.

2. FirstTimeClucky

FirstTimeClucky Songster

Feb 13, 2017
    If it's a wild household (German) roach, I wouldn't let your chicken eat it. House roaches can carry diseases and parasites, plus you don't know if it's been exposed to pesticides. There are species of tropical roach (Dubias etc.) that people use as feeders for reptiles and birds, these are safe because they're commercially bred.

3. My hen caught one once and loved it but after @FirstTimeClucky said I'd be cautious.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

You bet they can. My girls follow me around when I have the shovel. I've uncovered a nest and the hens feasted. :sick

No noticeable side effects, noting I do NOT use pesticide or herbicides on my property. :)

Kenny_ and FirstTimeClucky like this.
  5. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Crowing

Mar 26, 2012
    Near Cumberland, MD
    In many areas of the country, cockroaches run wild. I don't have them here, but my birds will eat almost any beetle, worm or bug at any time. If you are free-ranging or even just using an open run, you really have NO idea what all they may have eaten throughout the day anyway.

6. nminusyplusm

nminusyplusm Crowing

Mar 29, 2017
    Deming, NM
    In my part of the country, we have a relatively new species, the Turkestan cockroach, that's displaced the German and Orientals.

I kind of love them because they stay outdoors (for the most part... unless they get "lost"). They're easy to catch. And my chickens love them.

Turkestan cockroaches are even sold as feeders for insectivorous pets. They're really high in protein and very nutritious (for the chooks, not me).

7. FirstTimeClucky

FirstTimeClucky Songster

Feb 13, 2017
    I should clarify my earlier post. I live in Canada where (as far as I know) we don't have any native outdoor roaches. Outdoor roach species are fine. The roaches to worry about are the kind that live exclusively in human habitations. They're the ones that people try to exterminate with insecticides, including residual chemicals that stick around on the roach if they don't kill it. Household roaches are incredibly tough and can even survive the radiation from a nuclear blast. Many are now resistant to common pesticides. German roaches are the most common indoor species, but depending on where you live the indoor roaches might be a different species (like the Turkistan roach).

8. nminusyplusm

nminusyplusm Crowing

Mar 29, 2017
    Deming, NM
    Agreed. I don't have indoor species like Germans or Orientals and I wouldn't feed those for the reasons you stated. Turkestan are safe since they're outdoor roaches and they don't get poisoned.

9. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    That is because they don't have complicated internal system like we do.

We also don't really have German or Asian roaches in my new location either. But I'm sure there must be plenty of people who moved to the area and brought them with... so just a matter of time. :he

We had roaches BAD when I was a kid! :sick

I never in a million years would have imagined raising darkling beetles/meal worms IN MY HOUSE and more than that... not FREAKING out when one gets on my hand! :eek:
    [​IMG] still young so not fully dark.

I guess it's a little different when they are in a controlled environment. :oops:

Our actual household pest here is pill bugs, kinda like roly poly..
    upload_2017-11-12_7-41-29.jpeg :tongue

10. tigger19687

tigger19687 Songster

My hens will NOT eat Rolly Pollies !!! And there are a ton of them :(
    Le Sigh , I tried.
    I too have mealworms and now a ton of beetles !

p.s., they (hens) will eat the Pupae if you get too many of them, AND the wheat bran too

EggSighted4Life likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: