Cocks Comb Question..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JenniferNgo, Nov 15, 2011.

1. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    Ok, I am not sure how much of an emergency this is. But I really didn't know where else to post this. I have a Serama rooster who's comb keeps going purple at the tips. It isn't anything ON the comb so much as it looks like it is IN the comb. The funny thing about all this is it doesn't stay that way, it comes and goes. Each time it comes a little more area seems to be covered than previously. He is acting normally except he didn't crow this morning....

I have looked all over the place and can't find anything like it. The only thing I can think of is cardiovascular/circulation issues. It is 82 degrees here and about 70% humidity so I know he isn't cold. The coup was just cleaned so that rules out ammonia. No flakiness, dryness or irritation. The hens are showing no signs.

I really don't want to lose this guy! He is so beautiful and friendly! Thanks for all your help in advance!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

That happened to one of my tiny Nankin roosters when he got worms. His comb recovered to almost normal after worming but sadly he died anyway because it took too much out of him (his lethargy never went away).

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Comb color is an imperfect indicator of health in birds. Sometimes purple coloration means something, but often it means nothing. Combs change color in response to all the things you mentioned, but also as a result of hormonal fluctuations and lighting conditions.

I would do a full check on him for bugs and parasites to ease your mind, but if he turns up clean, I wouldn't worry too much. Unfortunately, if he has an underlying heart condition there is not much that can be done about it, but to enjoy and appreciate him as long as he is around.

Good luck.

4. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
  5. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    My black copper Maran roo does the same thing. It is more prominent in the mornings. Someone said that it's indicative of high testosterone. It seems to resolve itself during the day after he takes care of his morning "friskiness". I've quit worrying about it as he's healthy as a horse and shows no other symptoms [​IMG].

6. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    I did a full (much to his dicomfort) check on him no signs of parasites, but I will add food grade DE just to be safe. He is kept mostly indoors with an open garage and artificial sun, off ground so i wasnt' too worried about parasites.

The high testosterone sounds like it might be spot on since it comes and goes. Maybe he is resolving his "anxiety"? He still hasn't crowed all day but we just sold a bunch of birds so things are quiet around here [​IMG]. I will keep checking on him!

Thank you all so much for your input! you have put a lot of worry to rest:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by