Cocky Cockeral

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muddler6, Dec 10, 2007.

1. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I have a question about teaching a young cockeral who the boss is. I know instictively he is protecting his girls, but lets just say he has been trying to bite the hand that feeds him. I tried handling him when he was younger, he didn't like that much, I tried giving him treats, and so forth. But everytime I go to collect eggs or do anything around the coop or run, he feels the need to peck at me, and the other day he latched on to my hand. Any suggestions besides the stew pot? He's a good looking boy and I want to get some youngins off of him, but he is really testing my patience.:mad:

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

http://shilala.homestead.com/roosters.html Try this link....If nothing else...throw some treats in the yard, when you have to go into the coop. I hope the two of you can work it out...some roos just dont tame well...I have 2 of them. Hopeing to rehome them soon.

3. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I've used the water hose to cool mine off before, also feed distraction, carrying a rake with met etc. As long as mine doesn't spur me I'm ok with dealing with the protectiveness, he's doing his job.

4. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Thanks for the suggestions. He hasn't gotten really aggressive, yet. I want to avoid that from happening. Like I said, I understand the protective instict part of this, but I have had him since he was 4 weeks old, and his brother that I got at the same time, is the more timid of the two and is more prone to run from me even when I just move a hand near him. So having two cockerals, I have some choices. I wanted to keep the white one with the white frizzle hen, and the Blue cockeral with the blue and black girls, but.....If he decides to go nuts on me one day I make no guarantees as to what his future may hold. Has anyone tried taking a rooster and handling him daily to get him use to you and get the point that I do not intend to harm him? Keeping in mind he is 25 weeks old or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by