Cocodisis prevention tips anyone??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fabfarm, Oct 27, 2013.

1. fabfarm

fabfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    I hate dealing with cocodisis and I lost two chicks recently and I was wondering if anyone knows a good way to prevent it besides vaccinating any thing would be helpful and would probably help others who are lookin for prevention as well thanks,fab farm.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    That article is very informative...thx!

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    The best advice i can give is to become knowledgeable about Cocci and know the symptoms. As there is approx. 11 strains of cocci that can affect chickens,it can be difficult to prevent. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,it can be spread by wild birds,bringing it into your area on your own clothes/shoes/hands,etc. While chicks exposed at a early age to soil conditions in your yard will build an immunity,they are only immune to the strains that the have been exposed to. Always keep Corid(amprol) on hand and medicate at the first signs. Cocci kills very fast,but is easily controlled with Amprolium. I never vaccinate for cocci,my reasons are that there is no vaccine that covers all strains,the vaccines range from covering 2-3,3-5,1-8,there is one that covers 8(i think it is CocciVac D) these are the most common strains of cocci. Medicated chick feed will also not prevent an overload/outbreak of cocci,many people use a preventative Corid dose in the drinking water for chicks. I personally have not lost any chicks/older birds to Cocci,i medicate at the first signs,never wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by