Coconut Oil

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mcjessen, Nov 8, 2011.

1. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Given the healing properties of coconut oil (I use it myself), has anyone given it to their chickens? What was your experience???

2. Kickin.Cowgirl

Kickin.Cowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    I'm curious too ... How would you feed it to chickens?

3. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    No, but I use it for everything else tho'. Would be curious to know what others have tried and discovered in this dept too!

4. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    I use it to scramble their eggs, so they do get some, its a pure protein tho, so maybe it is not good for chickens, I have 1 dog who can't eat it or even eat things its in, because it makes her gassy and sick, to rich for her liver I guess.
    But as to the OP Mine have had some with no ill effects.

5. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Thanks for the input. I used it to cook with so it would make sense that I use it to make scrambled eggs for the girls. I forgot about that one. LOL!

6. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    I have "buttered" a piece of bread with coconut oil, fold it in half and they go wild eating it from my hand. Haven't done it much but when the girls first started laying I thought it might help the eggs slide out easier for them [​IMG]

7. The Mother Hen

The Mother Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    I haven't tried it, but I plan to. I want to "butter" a sweet potato with it so it compliments the sweetness. I also added garlic to their water and plain yogurt to their feed, the garlic for de-worming process and the yogurt to help their skeletal structure.

8. ShinShien

ShinShien Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    Chickens *mine* love coconut oil. Mix it in a treat: oats, mash, that powder on the bottom of the feed bag, canned cat/dog food.

Also, my dogs get coconut oil.

9. Eggzotics

Eggzotics Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    For those of you feeding coconut oil to your chickens.... Has anyone had issues with them losing weight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by