Cody the horse going to College update 8/5

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by twentynine, Jul 22, 2010.

1. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cody the horse going to College.

[​IMG]

Yep

We made the decission to place Cody at a training facility for 2 months. He and I had reached the point where we could not go any farther. No big problems, other than the bug spray issue that we could not overcome.

More later going fishing the AM.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Hope everything goes well. They grow up so fast!

3. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Twentynine -- you continue to make good decisions with your special horse!
    Keep us posted! It has been wonderful to follow your posts and see the bond you have with Cody -- :)

4. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    My dukie just graduated. [​IMG]

She is a lot better. Although she still has small problems. At least they are minimal. I'm glad I sent her to training. Ever if it cost me a fortune. You'll just love your horse when he gets back.

5. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Okay he's been over there about two weeks now. We have gone visited him 3 or 4 times a week.

Things he likes.

The presence of horse buddies. Runs along the fence, calls back and forth to the other horses. Turned out with another gentle gelding, they rub necks, bebop around the paddock.

Things he don't like.

The absence of grass pasture. Over there they got plenty horses, even if they had 40 acres (which they don't) They would not have enough open pasture for the horses boarded. The owner selectively grazes a couple paddocks, rotating horses in and out, but no where near the grass that Cody was getting here. He was grass fed fat, open to 3 - 4 acres some planted with bermuda/bahaia. Only being fed about 3/4# of Stratagy + hoof supplement a day. The stable owner is very generous with Cody's hay ration, and he eats every bit of it, but you can tell he misses his green grass.

Also, I don't know if I should be proud or ashame, but when he arrived at the stables he was the fattest thing in residence. Maybe I was a little bit to liberal with the feed ration, but, the old boy enjoys eating so much.

Next week Monday afternoon I am to start my training at the stable. The owner said she wanted a couple weeks with Cody to get the feel for him and maybe see if he had some training issues. She seems very positive about Cody. However she has kinda looked out the side of her eyes at me. Told me that I had to quit spoiling him, to use every contact with the horse as an oppourtunity to train him, to pay attention to my body language, never fool with the horse when I am tense. Stuff like that.

Yeah I know I spoiled him. But he is such a good natured beastie. Not a doubt in my mind that the few issues we are having with Cody are more related to my "issues" than being caused by Cody.

6. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Oops, sounds like you and Cody both get to go to school. It sounds like he is doing well, and it is always nice to learn from another horseperson. As you have already figured out, listen to what the other person has to say, then use only what works for you. You have done great with Cody, I have been following along since you got him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by