Coffee cup warmer as a chicken-water warmer?

geoaware

Songster
12 Years
Dec 3, 2007
Southern Maine
Hi everyone...

I was at the office today and noticed that I had one of those cheap (WalMart $2) coffee cup warmer on my desk, and I started thinking....(always dangerous when Aussies start thinking)...

Has anyone thought about using these under their chickens water to stop it from freezing? It has two settings...low and high....and the low setting seems to not heat up the pad so its too hot to touch.

My big concern is that it will melt my plastic water holder...

Anyways...any comments of ideas?

G.
cool.png

Last edited:
Why not just buy a heated bucket? We bought 2 buckets and one big dog bowl! We use the heated dog bowl for our 9 chickens and so far so good, I do change it daily but it isn't frozen anymore! We use the buckets one for our goats and one for our ducks!!! In the summer we use the waters so we don't have to change them every day. Would be great in the winter, but I haven't seen a heated water as of yet! Money is tight around here, but them buckets were well worth their weight in gold!!!
You can get them at TSC, and I even seen the heated dog bowl at walmart!
I know a web sight that sells them too can I post the web name? wasn't sure if that is aloud!
Brenda

I think we spent 27.00 on the buckets they were around 2 1/2 gallons
and the water dish was about a gallon. Horse.com was selling the buckets for 20.00 before christmas but to find them on that site use the search and put in heated buckets. That was the only way I could find them on that site!
Walmart's dog bowl was 20.00 also I think!
The only thing is the birds get shavings in the bowl. I would put it up higher but was afraid my Millies wouldn't be able to reach! But so worth it.
Brenda

if ya google you can find plans to make about anything ya want.feeders waters heaters.for alot less than you can buy.just takes alittle time.i make feeders out of 3 gallon buckets and clothes hangers. beats paying all that money. and ya can make the water jugs out of buckets also.i made a heater out of a cookie tin i got for christmas.

What a great idea! I have large water heaters already, but need another one for my "retirement" room in the coop. I'm going to try it out. I have two hens in the retirement room and don't really want to spend another 50 bucks on a large heater, when all they need is something small. I'll take a look at them next time I'm at the store to see if they seem like a fire hazard or not, and test it out on my deck first before letting any of by birds at it.

Back
Top Bottom