1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coffee... fruit or vegetable?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frosty, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    They call them coffee beans, but they come from berries, so is coffee a vegetable juice or fruit juice?

And there are cocoa beans, but they grow on a tree and wikipedia says 'The fruit, called a cacao pod, is ovoid, 15–30 cm (6–12 in) long and 8–10 cm (3–4 in) wide, ripening yellow to orange, and weighs about 500 g (1 lb) when ripe. The pod contains 20 to 60 seeds, usually called "beans", embedded in a white pulp. The seeds are the main ingredient of chocolate, while the pulp is used in some countries to prepare a refreshing juice.' So is cocoa a fruit?

Either way, we need our fruits and vegetables, right? That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! [​IMG]

2. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:My google results say this:

"The coffee is a cherry-like fruit that grows on tree, but the coffee you drink in the morning is the seed inside the "fruit".

So I guess you're drinking seed juice. Seeds are good for us, so I'd say you're all set!

3. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Coffee is an extract from the roasted seed of the coffee tree fruit. Not a "juice".

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Coffee is the only reason I have remained married 13 years. I think it may be sediative.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Still, seed extract is good for us if seeds are, right?

As for chocolate, that got fixed for chocaholics everywhere when they started recommending you eat a little of the 70% stuff every day, IMO. Or at least that's how I choose to see it.

6. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Picky picky. When I put fruits and veggies through my juicer, which is an extractor, I still call what I drink juice. Furthermore, extract is typically concentrated in form, where as coffee, once prepared with water is clearly not. So I still say juice applies! [​IMG]

7. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:Picky picky. When I put fruits and veggies through my juicer, which is an extractor, I still call what I drink juice. Furthermore, extract is typically concentrated in form, where as coffee, once prepared with water is clearly not. So I still say juice applies! [​IMG]

You're all wrong

It's Ambrosia, from the gods

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH

You're all wrong

It's Ambrosia, from the gods

[​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Its a fruit. Or a nut.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  10. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

How about infusion? [​IMG] Ambrosia infused in water. Go-juice infused in my life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by