Coffee grounds? Banana peels?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gpamela3499, Dec 2, 2009.

1. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Can chickens recycle used coffee grounds? I mean both to eat them or to use with the leaves and food scraps that with their poop becomes compost. They even turn it for me. I don't want them to get sick though. Also how about banana peels?

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I'd skip them both. The coffee grounds because of caffeine and the banana peels because of pesticide load. My grandparents always dumped the coffee grounds for their chickens, though.

3. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    [​IMG]

Thanks my family is trying to become consumer conscious. Meaning that if I buy chicken food for my pets then then I am not using all my resources completely and I am not consuming or using everything I have fully. I know coffee grounds are good for plants too. Doesn't chicken feed have to be grown and produced as well? So if I lower my consumption of processed feed then I am helping not only my budget but using my resources better right/

I do not want my girls to get sick though. Does the caffeine effect egg production, or health? Do chickens even get effected by caffeine.
    [​IMG]
    My hyper leghorn does not need to get cracked out any more though. No coffee grounds for her.

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I'm not sure. I read that it's bad for parrots, etc. I just don't think it's worth the risk. A leghorn on caffeine-- that would be worth a youtube video. lol

5. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:Yep parrots of any kind can not have caffeine.
    and [​IMG] on the leghorn on caffeine.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Put the coffee grounds in your compost pile or your flower pots.

7. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    Mine like banana peels a lot. Never tried coffee grounds though.

8. franko

franko Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Hunt, Tx
    I bet the eggs would have a coffee taste to them. No kidding. franko

9. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Mine will peck at banana peels and get some of the "goody" off the inside of them. My geese will actually eat pieces of the whole peel sometimes.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Since avocados are a no-no, I wouldn't give chickens banana peels. I give mine bananas without the peels and they like them. Bananas and avocados are from the same tree family.

Those who have a TRUE allergy to latex, are also allergic to bananas and avocados.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by