Coffee Grounds???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TnTom, Aug 31, 2010.

1. TnTom

TnTom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Woodbury Tn
    Just wondering if anyone knows about whether coffee grounds is something they like or can have safely? Doesn't sound good and I didn't want to give them any without some idea what the repercussions might be. thanks

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I wouldn't feed them directly to the chickens, but I do throw mine in the compost where the chickens scratch freely. I've never noticed any problems.

3. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have been using spent coffee grounds with and around my chickens for awhile now and I have never noticed any of them looking at is as if it were something to eat. I use it under their roost, I put inside their runs, and I also have a big rubbermaid container full of it and they enjoy just bathing in straight grounds. I dont think you will have any problems using it around your chickens, but they most likely wont even try to eat it.

4. TnTom

TnTom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Woodbury Tn
    Ive been throwing it my compost pile also. I wasn't sure. thanks for the quick reply. tom

5. TheFeatheredTempest

TheFeatheredTempest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    NW Illinois
    I have a friend who gives her chickens access to coffee grounds daily and she says they eat them. Poor little things, probably get wicked caffeine headaches now if she forgets! Next thing ya know they'll be squawking at the window for creamer!

6. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    [​IMG]

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Quote:I throw them on the heap also. But I think my chickens are getting jittery and staying up all night. [​IMG]

8. ottodog

ottodog Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Idaho Springs, CO
    Mine are mixed with the rest of the scraps, and they eat them just fine. Not sure they'd eat just a pile of grounds only, but when mixed the don't seem to mind.

9. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I wondered about coffee grounds too. Mine usually augment the compost heap too, but I'll add some to their hot mash tomorrow morning.

What about tea leaves? I cleaned out my tea drawer and found a few packages of loose tea leaves. Anybody else have experience feeding tea leaves to chickens? Or used tea bags ripped open?

10. I regularly throw out my grounds in the compost and garden. My 11 chickens do not pay it any attention really. They all run towards the grounds when they are thrown out but don't eat much, if any. I have not had any problems. Just my experience with my crazy chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by