coffee grounds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mcg30_40, Apr 27, 2008.

1. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    I've never thought about feeding the chickens coffee grounds but DH wants to know if it's ok. I didn't have a good answer as to why not so I thought I would ask on here. Is coffee grounds ok??

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    This is a purely anecdotal response, but we add coffee grounds to the compost pile daily, and the chickens are very obliging to get in there and stir it up, but they never seem to be interested in the coffee grounds. I don't think they touch them. If you did feed yours coffee grounds it could effect the egg flavor, just like too many onions would.

If you try it, let us know the results.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Caffeine is bad for chickens, so I don't think you'd want them to eat them on purpose.

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    There is zero nutritional value in coffee grounds. On another note do you really want your birds up all night?

5. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    Quote:Hmmm, coffee flavored eggs...is that a good or bad thing? [​IMG] I might could make some money off that in this area.

6. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say no but if you do it's his fault if they can't stop crowing at night.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  7. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    I would not think this is a good idea...many small animals cannot properly utilize caffeine (like dogs) and it leads to cardiac arrest...
    If the don't mess with it in the compost, then that should be OK. But I would not suggest to give it straight to the hens or chicks....just a little too risky for me...

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Coffee grounds? No no no. [​IMG]

9. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    If it's not good for us, how can it be good for our chickens?

Dawn

10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    BE PREPARED FOR THE PERFECT SOLUTION:

I was just reading about redworms and growing them as food for your chickens. Redworms LOVE coffee grounds. Maybe you should get a worm bin going and your DH can put the coffee grounds in there. Then you can feed your big, fat coffee ground fed redworms to your chickens! YES!!!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by